The Agricultural University of Iceland is an institute under the Ministry of Agriculture. The Minister of Agriculture bears the responsibility for the quality of education provided by the university meets the conditions for quality as set forth in Act No. 63/2006 on Universities.
The Agricultural University of Iceland is led by the University Council and Rector. The University Council sets the teaching and research strategy and drives planning. The Rector is the head of University administration and is responsible for its operation. S/he is responsible for vocational and operational planning and for gaining University Council approval for this, and leads the University Council in devising a comprehensive policy for University business. The Minister for Agriculture appoints a Rector for a five-year term at the recommendation of the University Council.
The following have a seat on the University Council:
1. The Rector, who is also the Chair of the Council.
2. Representative appointed by the Minister of Agriculture.
3. Representative nominated by the Minister of Education.
4. Two representatives nominated by the Farmers’ Association of Iceland.
5. Representative nominated by SA – the Confederation of Icelandic Employers.
6. Representative nominated by the governing Council of the University of Iceland.
7. Representative nominated by the employees of the Agricultural University of Iceland.
8. Representative nominated by the student body.
Research within University faculties shapes University’s Division of Research. The Division of Academic Affairs is responsible for teaching administration.
Day to day operations are in the hands of the Management team, which is made up of the Rector, Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, Vice Rector for Research, Deans of University faculties, Head of the Department of Vocational and Continuing Education and Operational Head. Ágúst Sigurđsson,
, Dean for the Faculty of Animal and Land Resources
and prorector of research
, Prorector of education
, Head of the Faculty of Vocational and Continuing EducationÓlafur Arnalds,
Dean for the Faculty of Environmental Sciences
Ţorvaldur T. Jónsson
, Head of fiscal affairs